Spring Immunization Updates
- Reminder: 2018 Storage and Handling Guidelines
- Immunization Program Raffle
- Introducing PhilaVax
- You’re invited: Grand Rounds on April 23
2018 Storage and Handling Guidelines: From when it’s manufactured right up to when it’s administered to a patient, a vaccine must be protected. Everyone involved is responsible for maintaining the “cold chain” – storing it at correct temperatures to preserve its effectiveness.
In January, we sent out new storage and handling guidelines. These help ensure that you preserve the cold chain and ensure the vaccines’ viability.
Review the update here and be sure that your site has updated your program forms.
In particular, be sure that you:
- Use digital data loggers: Monitor all VFC/VFAAR vaccine with a certified, calibrated digital data logger during routine onsite storage, vaccine transport, and mass vaccination clinics.
- Record vaccine temperature: Use paper temperature logs to record vaccine storage unit temperatures twice a day. Record the min and max temperatures at the start of each clinic day.
- Prepare for an Emergency: Fill out the updated Emergency Management Forms, fill in your practice’s information, and keep a copy near your vaccine storage units with supplies that you’ll need for emergency transport. Fax Page 1 to us at 215-238-6948 whenever you make updates.
Announcing a new Immunization Program Raffle! You and other VFC/VFAAR providers do so much to protect Philadelphians from vaccine-preventable diseases. To thank you, we are starting a regular raffle.
VFC/VFAAR providers like you who show excellent storage and handling practices will be entered into a raffle. Every few months, we’ll randomly select a winner and send you a small vaccine-related prize to support your vaccination work.
Introducing PhilaVax: the KIDS Plus IIS is getting a new name. Over the next month, the KIDS Plus IIS will be getting a new name: PhilaVax. You’ll still log in and use it the same way, but it will have a new name, modern logo, and fresh feel.
You’re invited to the Grand Rounds on April 23: On April 23rd, join us at the Philadelphia County Medical Society for the Grand Rounds as Dr. Kristen Feemster discusses immunization work. A flyer for the event is here.