VFAAR Eligible Adults
Eligibility for receipt of vaccines through the Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s Vaccines For Adults At Risk (VFAAR) Program has recently been expanded. VFAAR is now available for all uninsured and underinsured adults 19 years and older, including undocumented adults and seniors living in Philadelphia.
Underinsured adults are defined as adults who have insurance, but the insurance does not cover the vaccine needed at the time of visit.
Who covers which vaccine?
Providers should always opt to provide adults with immunization through their patients’ medical insurance or entitlement program as the first choice. VFAAR vaccines should be used only if other coverage is not available. List of vaccines available through most plans is as follows:
- Part B: Hep B, Pneumococcal, Flu
- Part D: most commercially available adult vaccines (including Zoster)
- For more information visit: https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/index.html
Medicaid, Health Insurance Marketplace, Private Insurers (ACA requirements include most adult vaccines although there may be variability between plans):
- Hep A, Hep B, HPV, Flu, MCV4, MMR, PPSV23, Tdap/Td, Varicella, Zoster
- Hep A, Hep B, HPV (through 21 years of age), Flu, MCV4, MMR, PPSV23, Tdap/Td, Varicella
If you have any questions, please contact the VFAAR Coordinator, Sarah Bonilla, at email@example.com or 215-685-6837.